Sunday, April 11, 2010

Emalie Annalise has arrived!!

Yes, it's been over a week, but I just now have the energy to blog our new arrival!!

(click to enlarge)


On April 1, we went in for me to get the amnio done. Arrived at the hospital at 8am, and shortly got all set up. I survived, but it was far, far worse than I thought it would be. The baby kept moving and it ended up taking about 20 minutes of needle-wiggling torture to get enough fluid out. When they say it cramps, they are NOT KIDDING... it was truly quite painful!!! Then we waited impatiently until about 4pm when Dr. Jody called with the fantastic news... we have mature lungs, and induction is going as scheduled in the morning!!! YEA I was SO READY.

April 2, we got to the hospital at 7:15 as instructed. By 8am I was changing into my chic hospital gown. Looking at this pic makes me kinda sad because already the memory of having that big belly and wiggly baby inside is fading. Knowing she will be my last baby is so bittersweet.

The next couple of hours were all for getting set up. Monitors on, IV in (ick), automatic blood pressure cuff (HATE), lots of bustling around. Dr. Jody came in and broke my water around 10, I got my epidural around 10:30, and the pitocin drip started at 11.

I got nice and numb and proceeded to doze until about 1:30 when mom arrived to visit. We sat around and talked and waited. I got checked about 2pm and the nurse said I was around 5cm so it might be a while. I had my own idea that it would not be long AT ALL because it was the same with Sophie... once I hit 5, the show was about to start. I also burst into tears for no real reason around this time, freaking everyone out, but it was just a random hormone surge.

About half an hour later I started feeling really out of it and sort of withdrew into myself... one of those things you understand if you've ever given birth. The time comes close and you become a total introvert, focused on your body. I started feeling a lot of pressure but with the epidural, it really doesn't hurt. My nurse Surprena popped in about 2:30 and asked if I was feeling pressure. I gave her a nod and she bustled over to check -- sure enough, 10cm and ready to push! We all looked at each other saying "OMG that was FAST!!!" Mom headed out and I quickly sent out my pre-drafted mass text -- "Time to push!"

I gave one practice push, and Surprena told me I was a great pusher and to stop til Dr. Jody got there because it wasn't going to take me long. I was thrilled to hear that! About 5 minutes later Jody arrived, and after about 15-20 minutes and about 9 pushes, Emalie Annalise made her debut into the world at 3:02pm.

She was placed right on my chest and I could tell she was much smaller than my previous two 9-pounders... very petite and sweet with lots of dark hair! 7lb 11.6oz -- 19.5in long

She had a couple of cries but not a full-throated yell, so the baby nurse sucked her tummy with a tube to get all the fluid out. She was born so fast it didn't squeeze everything out. Even after that, she was as she has been since... not a big crier. She is a very chill and peaceful baby!

I can't believe how lucky I am to have gotten pregnant 3 times and ended up with 3 healthy babies... that is truly a blessing.

I heart Dr. Jody :)
Around 4, I was put back together again and everyone came pouring in to say hello. Seeing my big kids made me cry some more. They were so excited.

my sweet big kids with baby EmUncie Mike (my bro -- you're next!!!!)
Aunt Sadie (my SIL, bro's wife)
Pop (my dad)
Grammy (my mom)
Great-Aunt Vicky (my aunt)
Pop-Pop (my grandad)
Auntie (Jeff's sister)
Granny (Jeff's mom)


Once everyone left, Miss Em got her first feeding (she was a champ from the start just like her big sister, she knew just what to do) and then she was whisked away to the nursery. While she and Daddy were gone, Surprena got me moved me to my recovery room.

I had a bow on her head within the first 5 hours... LOL

It's amazing that it has been 9 days. It seems much shorter and much longer at the same time. Her little face is already as familiar to me as my big kids' faces. It's as if she's always been here. I love her with a passion, from her furry gremlin ears to her super-long thumbs and toes. I kiss her soft little cheek and get teary-eyed knowing that the time spent with her as a newborn is so fleeting... I want to treasure and remember every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails